Monday, June 6, 2011

Did I cause my dog to go crazy?

One day a few months ago, I  got my laser pointer out to play with the cats.  My puppy, Lilly saw this "red dot" and that was the beginning of the end playing laser with the cats.  Lilly would dominate the chasing of the red dot.  I was so impressed with the fact that she would play with it that a few weeks ago my sister was at my house and I couldn't wait to show her how my now 8 month old puppy, loves to chase the laser pointer. She has become obsessed with this "toy".  My sister had told me she heard that dogs can literally go crazy if they play with a laser pointer.  I did some research and found  that it will NOT cause mental harm to dogs and can be good exercise for them, BUT it might drive me crazy because she wants me to play with her without ceasing, using this laser.  If she hears any kind of "click" whether it happens on the t.v. or in my daily activity she stops doing whatever she happens to be doing at that moment and springs into action and looks for the red dot. She will look all over the room and the ceiling (sometimes I do point it to the ceiling).  She will run at a speed that would put any cheetah to shame.  When I do play with her, as I can't stand to look at those soulful eyes begging to play, I shine the laser from the living room to down the hall and back.  She runs down the hall and makes a u-turn and back to the living room and slides the length of the room, and back down the hallway.

Last night I tried to see how long it would take for her to be satiated.  I never got there. I finally had to stop because I got worried she would fall over with dehydration, heart attack, or heat exhaustion (even though this was in the house with a/c on).  I usually go outside with them (I have 2 dogs) at about 11pm so they can relieve themselves before bed.   Last night I took the laser with me and Lilly ran as if she was on some sort of race track and after about 20 minutes, I got tired.

If I do want to play with the cats, Lilly must be outside, otherwise they don't have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment