A couple of years ago a very dear friend introduced me to the term "pajama day" and explained that it was a day that one would take to do nothing. That in itself sounded to good to be true because there can't be a day that one could truly do nothing. I know that in my house & life it is not possible. I look around my house and see so many things that need my attention. The dust bunnies are overtaking my living room. I almost have to say "excuse me" to get passed them and Lilly, my 8 month old pup, has left remnants of what ever she has chosen to chew, at what ever given moment, throughout the living room, hallway, and bedroom. Nothing is safe unless it is under lock and key. Jerry informed me this morning that Lilly's overnight choice of chewing material were his new shoe laces. Last night just before bed it was an empty Blue Bell ice cream container of which I am still finding pieces. Then there are the outside distractions, commitments, and general things that must be done. This morning, for example I need to go to a friend's house to see if I can do some minor repairs to one of her upholstered chairs that HER dog chewed. I need to check on my adopted mom and see how she is feeling and what I might help her with. Then I can come home and see if I can corral and rein in those out of control dust bunnies. Then, if I don't get too distracted, I'll shock my husband by vacuuming the house.
Tomorrow can't be a pajama day because it will be filled with the things I don't get done today. Remember, I told you in a past post that I have severe A.D.D. and the more I go forward the "behinder" I get.
The ideal pajama day for me would be to do nothing for anyone else but myself. That sounds so selfish I know, but it would be so delightful to not have to think about feeding my livestock of 5 cats & 2 dogs, clean out 3 cat litter boxes, plan and fix dinner and clean-up after-wards. If I wanted I could sew, read, play computer games, or even sleep without feeling guilty. Just one day would be like a mini vacation.
Our Quilt Guild summer retreat starts this coming Sunday and that is a wonderful 5 days of guilt free pajama days. No husbands, animals, cooking, litter boxes, cleaning, feeding, or cleaning up after wards. This year I won't be going. This would have been my 6th year to attend. There are many reasons why I am not going and most are private but there are no regrets as it was a personal choice. However, I will miss the days AND nights of not having to deal with daily home requirements.
I guess I'm going to have to look at a calendar and schedule myself a guilt-free pajama day.
No comments:
Post a Comment