I am sitting on my patio and looking out over our yard and remembering how beautiful it once was. A few years ago Jerry and I purchased 2 & 1/2 palettes of St. Augustine sod and had it professionally installed to include having it rolled with this water drum. It looked so beautiful and green. I watered it as directed even in the evenings when the mosquitoes are at their most active state. Off Repellent does not work when you are watering as the water tends to wash it off as soon as it is applied. So after a Spring of mosquitoes bites and beautifully watered grass, my very loving husband, (with all good intentions) who had been told to just keep it watered figured that fertilizing with various advertised products, would make it even better. Well let me tell you that the added fertilizers only fertilized dormant weed seeds that were in the dirt we had hauled in to lay the new sod on. Those weeds danced as they were watered and had the audacity to grow and take over the yard. We used every type of tool to remove them before they produced MORE seeds. They out numbered us and didn't mind the blazing sun and heat or mosquitoes.
Then the draughts started. A couple of summer draughts and all we were left with is dirt. Lots & lots of brown dirt. Last year we were fortunate to get more rain than we had in a long time and we got weeds again but at least they were green. So we had green weeds to mow. Now we have some brown dirt (lots) and some green weeds (that need mowing) and leftover leaves from this past fall and winter. If we kill the weeds we will have an all brown dirt yard. I think this fall (Oct/Nov) for the coming 2012 spring I will spread 1/3 of my yard with Bluebonnet seeds and the remaining 2/3 with grass seed and let the fall leaves protect the seeds. If that doesn't work I might try the color gray. Is that the color of cement???
No comments:
Post a Comment